Monday, July 26, 2010

CD on Interracial/Interfaith Dating

Meet CD (Casual Dater) here.

Heya there readers,

If you remember from my intro, I'm a practicing Jew.  I do take my faith very seriously.  That said, when it comes to interfaith dating, I'm all for it.

Now if that happens to be surprising to you, let me explain.
This hearkens back to my general philosophy as outlined in my intro: dating is not marriage nor does it even indicate compatibility in any sort of romantic relationship.

In the early dating stages, it really shouldn't make a difference what faith a person practices (or doesn't practice) just like any other differences in opinion should not make a huge difference.  We shut ourselves off to potentially wonderful people just because of a relatively arbitrary initial distinction.

Then again, I can't, at this point, picture myself marrying a non-Jewish man.  Does that mean that I'll limit my dating options to only Jewish men just because I hold that principle?  No.  Perhaps I'll find that with the right person, his Judaism becomes less relevant.

So why limit ourselves?  It simply does not make sense to go on a date with the same expectations you have for a life partner.  Try it out!  You might surprise yourself.

Coincidentally, most of the people I've had serious crushes on in recent memory were not Jewish, but all of the people I've "dated" were.  For me, it's not even a serious consideration anymore and won't be until I'm ready to commit for the longer term.

That's just how I roll.
Peace out,
CD

CD (Casual Dater) is female, straight and 20 years old.


Note from the Editor: If you have things to say about this topic, write up a post! To keep your contributions completely anonymous, log in to our PDO Writer gmail account:
username: pdo.writer
password: diametric
So submit! (especially if you're a guy or in an interracial relationship)

No comments: