Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Valentines? More like shmalentines.

All silliness aside, Valentine’s Day is approaching and with it comes the dreaded gift giving exercise practiced by many couples, and hopeful couples come February 14th. But, what really is the use of Valentine’s Day? In a lot of guy’s minds this day is a day that they have to waste a bunch of money on their girlfriend, or potential date/love interest/whatever. And no guy likes doing that. But what is the true meaning of Valentine’s Day (VD)? Is it actually just to provide physical reminders of one’s love for another, or does it actually serve a purpose other than to stoke one’s ego and serve as a popularity contest.

So, what do I think of VD? I wouldn’t really know actually. This year is the first year that I’ll actually have a girlfriend on VD, but from past experience in general VD extravaganzas I know that I’m not really that big a fan of it. Sure, I appreciate the chocolate and all the other types of candy and stuff, I don’t necessarily like the holiday itself. I’m not big on the pink hearts and other such things which permeate the holiday.

I don’t really know what to say about VD other than this. I’m not sure what April’s expecting really, she did come up with the idea for this post. I guess I’m not in much of a blogy mood. Maybe I’ll make this better, or add some more or something or write another post after April posts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the irony of the abbreviation of Valentine's Day. As for the day itself, I could take it or leave it. I've always been single on it, but it's never really bothered me.