Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ladder Theory! Yay climbing?

So, ladder theory. Now, I’ve known about, or at least I read the website that April posted, a couple of years ago. So I know all about ladder theory, at least in theory. Haha

Anyway, ladder theory is basically a way to look at how both men and women look at and judge people they are attracted to. I’d suggest reading the site posted on April’s post because I don’t want to explain it all.

So, ladder theory in my opinion has both its strong points and its faults. On the surface it seems to me to be a pretty sound idea. People place other people on “ladders” in rank order depending on how much they are attracted to the person. Or really how much the person wants to have sex with the person they are judging. Of course, judging from April and my posts a while ago, sex isn’t the only thing on guy’s minds, or on a girl’s. So, that’s problem number one with ladder theory. I do have to say though, that the general idea, that people either consciously or subconsciously place others on ladders in their minds based on the amount they want to have sex with them is interesting. I think, while all of ladder theory might not be totally correct, parts of it can certainly be truthful.

Some more faults of ladder theory: The pie charts depicting the ways that men and women place people on the ladder. Now, I don’t know if that is entirely true. I think that for me, where I’m not trying to have sex with every woman I meet, makes things different for the chart of how I place people on the ladder. But in the “real world” I don’t know how that is going to actually work out really in terms of attraction. I do think though that there is a definite way that both guys and girls size up other people they meet and then they place them on a ladder. Now, this criterion might change for each person, and that would actually make a lot of sense instead of it being a blanket percentage for each sex with what they find attractive.

Now, they way that the website further breaks down how women find men attractive seems to me, from a male standpoint to be somewhat true. While possibly not always true, I don’t think that money and power are really the only things going for guys, granted, I think it’s pretty accurate a lot of the time. But, in general it isn’t the only thing, not truly. Maybe outwardly it is, but a lot of the time it really isn’t that important and the girl actually likes the guy based on his personality and not because he has 13 cars and 20 million dollars of cash to spend on her.

I do agree though with the way that the attraction category of the woman’s pie chart is broken down. I think that definitely the things that are described do play a role. But, I also think that it isn’t entirely true because, like I said, it isn’t like women don’t care about a guy’s personality. Now, I know with some girls that those factors do play into the girl finding the guy attractive, but the actual want to be with the guy, and date him or whatever isn’t caused by this. It’s caused by other things than just him being rich and being “cool.” Now, granted, this is only for so many girls that I know. I’m sure that a lot of people fit the stereotype.

In terms of the ladders and how they work, I agree with them, as I said before. I think that in terms of the guy’s ladder, it’s pretty accurate. But there are of course factors into how the guy is going to approach the women on his ladder, because he might know that someone of them definitely aren’t going to want him and still be high on his ladder. I know this happens with me.

The way the woman’s ladder is set up is also in my mind pretty try. The two ladder idea, with one being a “friend zone” type idea. I think this is pretty true. Now, maybe, again it doesn’t apply to everyone, but, generally I think that the idea that there are two separate ladders for a lot of girls is true. I don’t know if I think that you are immediately put on one or the other when you first meet someone, but I do think that it is very hard to move from friend’s ladder to attraction ladder.

The last point and one of the last parts of the website, deals with women not being able to be friends with guys. I think that is this false for a number of reasons. Well, actually, it could be true for a lot of people. But, for me at least the three things that are listed as having to be true for guys to be friends with girls don’t really work. I am neither gay, not attracted to some of my female friends, or placing other real people way above many of them on my “ladder.” I think this comes down to me not being a mindless sex wanting robot. And since I’m not that, I can balance my attraction for a girl with my friendship with her. Now, granted, as the website suggests, I’d probably totally have sex with a lot of my friends who are girls if it was totally not strings attached. But that doesn’t mean that I can’t be friends with them in any way. Because unless they’re offering, I know better than to cross that line because I’m not stupid.

Ok, so this is a really super long post. Almost a thousand words, which is pretty sweet. But, I think I’m going to finish up because I’ve pretty much exhausted my brain of ideas about the topic. But, I’m sure I’ll think of something else once I actually read April’s post.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hmmm, when you guys do serious posts like this no one actually comments...that's a shame. It's also something wrong with the world, probably attributable to laziness, or maybe the teenage attention span. I however, have never seen this website before, or heard of the "ladder theory" before. I have concluded that it was created for and thought up by people who lead lives COMPLETELY UNLIKE my own. :P