Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Prommmmm-oh-omm-oh-ommmm...??

Prom is a huge deal. I don’t really know why, but it just is. And part of prom is getting dates.

Duncan basically said everything already.

I don’t know how I feel about getting a date for the sake of getting a date. That seems like you’re using the person just to go to prom and have some arm candy. But then again, I can’t blame people who do that, because I would do it too. Though I wouldn’t go with someone I wasn’t gonna have fun with. But I would also probably have fun with almost anyone. But for those people who don’t have a certain person in mind, should they even care about getting a date? What happened to all those uplifting pep talks (thank you duncan) about going stag and being independent and all that good stuff? No one wants to do that. I think I’d rather skip prom than go alone. If everyone else has dates, what are you supposed to do by yourself?

I think the best thing to do for prom is to go as friends. That way, you don’t have to worry about what the other person wants from you and you can have a good time. You’re also not obligated to spend the whole time with your date.

I would imagine it’s really awkward if you get asked by someone who likes you that you don’t like back. If they expect you to fall in love with them by the end of prom night, you’re just not going to have a good time. Unless you actually do fall in love with them.

I think it’s stupid to ask someone to prom because you want to go out with them eventually. Prom askings go on waaaaay before the actual dance; what if you don’t like them anymore by prom night? Unless you’re the kind of person who likes the same person for years and years, which I most certainly am not.

But for those who are hopeful enough to believe that a miracle will happen because of prom night regarding you and your date, I can’t help but root for you. It’d be like a movie!!! :] But I imagine prom as, like, a Cinderella type ball where you wear a pretty gown and get swept off your feet by a dashing prince (haha) and the whole night is very fairy-tale like and fantastic.

If you’re planning on “making a move” ( to use Duncan’s words) on prom night, though, I think that’s a little crazy. Make your move before prom and then just enjoy yourself on prom night. Don’t wait for one night just because it’s a crazy insane high school dance. If you want something to happen, make it happen now. The fact that prom is weeks away is just an excuse for you to postpone a bold and probably scary move. Some may argue that asking someone to prom is a bold and scary move, and maybe it is, but it doesn’t accomplish much. All you’re doing is asking a question and hoping they answer correctly. There’s no further interaction other than limo planning and apparel matching.

That’s probably off-topic. Duncan is yelling at me to wrap up, and I probably should. The point is, in ten or twenty years, it’s not going to matter who you took, what you did, if you got the girl (or guy) but whether you had a good time. So just set that as your goal, and you’re golden.

7 comments:

Duncan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Duncan said...

What happens if you're taking someone you like to prom, and it's still a little while before prom and you "make you move", because you said you shouldn't wait, but then it backfires. Now your prom is going to be awkward because of what happened before. Doing something at prom, or at the end gives you a chance to still have fun at prom but not possibly ruin something.

But then again, it could make it better (a la April and Cyril).

April said...

good point. what i meant was, make a move, and if it works, then you ask. i think using prom as your "move" is kind of dumb.

and anyway, cyril and i are a different story.

Anonymous said...

YEA DUNCAN


were on a completely different plateau

Angelika said...

I'll miss my prom since I'm spending the year abroad and I couldn't care less! Last May I went with a bunch of friends to a church-organized prom (our church is really open and it was designed as a gay-friendly prom) and we had a ton of fun... We did all the "important" stuff like getting dressed up and then we all slept over at my friend's house. It was the best experience I could have wished for, I'm kind of glad I didn't have to worry about the whole "special person/perfect evening" view everyone has!

Chris P said...

"I would imagine it’s really awkward if you get asked by someone who likes you that you don’t like back. If they expect you to fall in love with them by the end of prom night, you’re just not going to have a good time. Unless you actually do fall in love with them." - april

Unfortunately this usually happens in some form or another. Lets assume that that someone april was talking about was a close friend - thats all. Although you might just go with a friend, the very fact that you two are going together shows some connection on some level. And if one of you just so happens to be a love sick teenager (very high probability) then going to prom together will almost be like a one sided relationship that can get really awkward. Either way,someone is going to get hurt or not enjoy their prom.

Duncan said...

So what do you suggest to alleviate the problem, Chris? Since you seem to look at it as a very high probability of being bad for one person, what can you do to avoid the situation except not go?