Monday, January 28, 2008

On a slightly different note...

This quote from Duncan's last post caught my eye:

it plays into a stereotypical male-female relationship of the guy being big and strong, who makes the money and also goes out and hunts for food.

What do you guys think about this? Should the stereotypical/typical roles of males and females, respectively, still be inherent in our relationships? Or are we advancing beyond that? Are the roles reversing? Do you, as a female, prefer the males to ask you to the dance, ask you on dates, pay for movies, etc? Or have we assumed more responsibility as an equal part of the relationship?

While I admire the idea that females are now able to have more power and can "make the money" and "hunt for food," I still can't completely wrap my head around breaking the traditional roles of male and female. I mean, the guy is supposed to be older, richer, taller, etc, and is also supposed to be the one doing the wooing and courting. I can do with girls being taller, older, and making more money, but I, as a girl, would never be able to ask a guy out. He'd have to ask me, no matter what. This may be an excuse because I'm too scared ("He is supposed to ask me!"), but I don't know.

What about the guys? Do you care that you're the ones expected to, I guess, make the first move? Or would you want the girl to do it, Sadie-Hawkins style?

And not only asking out, but in general. I know that Duncan likes the girl to make the first move...I'll let him elaborate/explain if he wants.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, it seems like guys are still expected to play the leading roles in relationships. Of course there are always exceptions, but i feel it will take awhile for these roles to change. They have been ingrained in society for so long..

Anonymous said...

I think its time for change. i dont think its that hard if people really wanted to. And its definately not any harder for girls to ask guys out than it is for guys to ask girls out except that when guys ask all the girls out theyre called studs and when girls ask all the guys out theyre sluts. But no ones gonna start changing if no one sees anyone else changing so its always gonna start with you, or an individual. why not?