Sunday, January 27, 2008

Topic Number One: A Guy's opinion on guys being Macho

So, I'll discuss both at the same time really (and mostly because I can't think of too many girly stereotypes, other than things like not wearings pants, and I think we're past that as a society). So, guys being macho is a role that we take on to garner attention from the opposite sex, or just from those around us. I see it as an easy way to show off and both show to girls (in the case of guys being macho) that you're confident and also it plays into a stereotypical male-female relationship of the guy being big and strong, who makes the money and also goes out and hunts for food. In a basic and early human society (I'm talking hunter gatherer and earlier here) mating was based on survival and therefore a guy who could provide both protection and food for a woman was looked on as the best candidate. This has evolved into a man with power, or money or fame in a modern setting. But this need for guys to want to feel macho comes from this basic ability to show off to women to get attention and then be picked as the best mate. Also, to get the attention of women you want to have one of those things that I said earlier, which gets you seen as better than everyone else around, power, money, fame, strength. And acting like a tough guy who can deal with anything is sometimes the easiest of these to achieve, which makes acting macho something which a lot of guys do to get attention.

So, those are my thoughts on the issue of guys being macho, I'm not sure how well organized that is and if it makes any sense at all. If it doesn't, inform me and I'll rethink the flow of consciousness plan.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Too scientific Duncan!