Monday, January 28, 2008

To respond to April...

So, as per April’s latest post we’re now onto the subject of gender relations. And yes, I do find it incredibly attractive when girls make moves and don’t just sit there waiting for guys to flock to them.

I disagree with April on this issue, but I have a feel that’s my equality and democracy streak peeking through. I think that both sexes should have full expectations to do something about interest. Women shouldn’t be labeled as sluts if they go up to a guy they like and flirt with him, or ask him out. They should be able to do this the same way guys can. And this makes both sexes jobs easier if there isn’t any pressure on one or the other to make a first move.

Now sure, I think that everyone would agree (at some level of consciousness) that getting dinner and a movie paid for by someone else is awesome, it’s free stuff. Of course sometimes the expectation by a guy is that he is paying a girl so that she’ll do something with him. Sure, that sounds stupid, but maybe it’s true. Because guys can’t like paying for things all the time, if we did then we would have to be stereotypical and have big important, powerful jobs where we make lots of money so we can pay for every facet of our girlfriends. But if guys see paying for things for girls as a way to get something from the girl then it could explain the continuation by guys of the trend. And for girls, who doesn’t want free stuff? While guys may expect something, it’s not like the girl has any actual obligation other than a simple thanks.

How about what April mentioned (and what I brought up first thing) though, that I think it’s really attractive for a girl to make the first move. And this is me being stereotypical which is slightly contradictory to my aforementioned beliefs and stuff, but bear with me. I don’t think that a girl making out with every guy she knows at the drop of a hat is attractive, that is slutty. But, I do respect and admire a girl who will make a first move to engage in either a relationship or anything else. It’s sort of thin line maybe, but I see it as a distinct line. A girl who, after flirting with a guy and a guy flirting with her, makes a move to create any type of relationship is attractive in my mind, especially when this is done to me. I think this could be because of simply wanting to be liked. And for me, if a girl makes the first move I don’t have any uncertainty about if she likes me or not. The answer is pretty much definitely yes. And knowing that someone who you like likes you for sure is awesome and so that makes the girl attractive if they break that barrier instead of the guy having to.

So, those are my thoughts on the matter, hopefully this is more organized for Emily this time.

5 comments:

April said...

I never thought about that -- that guys pay for things as a way to "buy" something else, something for later...? I always thought it was just out of etiquette, like the polite and gentlemanly thing to do.

Duncan said...

Well, it isn't like that can't be a reason. I'm just saying that no one can be that gentlemanly all the time, they have to expect something in return eventually.

Anonymous said...

Good Job, Duncan!
I thought it was a lot better this time, hehe

Anonymous said...

Duncan, I could not agree more, and of course, I believe you to be correct. Completely so.

You know who I am. Don't mention my name.

Who else is this cryptic?

Anonymous said...

That was brilliant and well-put. I couldn't agree with you more. And I think that part about guys paying for things as a way of possibly "buying" something else is entirely true, though not simply in terms of physical desires. Most young men cannot simply afford to take tons of girls out on dates, so on the occasions, they clearly want something in return. This "something" may be a new relationship or some sign of affection. I feel that most average cash-strapped dudes are looking for this, even though they might refuse to admit it. Many men are disappointed when they get nothing in return, and rightfully so (in my mind, at least).