Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Art of Flirting...??

How do you define flirting? I don’t think it has a single definition. You can flirt with the intention of making someone want you (lol) or you can flirt for fun or you can flirt without knowing it or you can flirt with your significant other. You can flirt with anyone for any reason at any time anywhere and it’s still called flirting.

I don’t know if guys and girls have different ideas of what flirting is.

I think it all depends. Just laughing and joking with a guy doesn’t mean you’re flirting with him, in my opinion. It depends on the vibe. Hopefully you can tell if a guy asks you to hang out because he likes you or just wants to hang out.

But then again, you don’t have to like someone to flirt with them. You can just do it for fun.

Basically, I have no idea how to define flirting.

Flirt is such a weird word after saying it so many times.

Anyway, do guys flirt differently than girls? No, I don’t think so. I don’t think it’s divided into girls and guys. Rather, it’s more like people who flirt a lot and people who only flirt with people they like. People who flirt a lot do it for fun, or for attention. And there’s totally nothing wrong with that.

Learn how to flirt

One point made in the wiki is that you shouldn’t flirt with high expectations. Again, usually it’s just for fun.

But I know a lot of girls who “flirt like crazy” to get a guy to like them. It works too. :]

4 comments:

Duncan said...

The reason girls can get guys by flirting outrageously with them is because then the guy feels wanted and therefore knows that the girl wants him, and so has no lack of confidence in approaching her.

This is the same idea as my "I think girls who make the first move are extra attractive" thing that I have.

Anonymous said...

I think that there kinda is something wrong with flirting just for attention, or flirting all the time. Like its not bad, but it kinda shows that the person that does it is attention starved and therefore needs to feel needed by so many people in order to be self fulfilled.

JF said...

In response to the above anonymous poster, I have to say, as a person who flirts an absolutely inappropriate amount of the time, that the reason may not always be that simple. Sure, some people need attention, and that constant feeling of affirmation that comes with everybody noticing you. On the other hand, flirting is very fun, and often makes a guy/girl friendship a "safe" one. If two people are flirtatious with each other, they're often just goofing around, and it really makes the odds of anything serious happening between them smaller. I'm presently in a somewhat lengthy relationship, and I still flirt a lot because I feel that, as long as the tone isn't misleading, it lets girls know I'm not looking to be anything more than friends. That seems counter-intuitive, but it's easier than winding up too close to someone you only ever intended to be friends with, and having to deal with your psyche being torn in two by a difficult situation. That may or may not make any sense. I know what I meant.

Chris P said...

I agree with Duncan - well at least for conservative guys (like myself). Sure we may joke and act all confident etc etc but when a girl flirts with us, it emboldens us to make a move (if we like the girl in question).

I also agree with Duncan on the idea that "girls who make the first move are extra attractive". Many guys find that attractive but there is one problem - many girls like it when the guy asks first. It was my sister who told me that she, along with many of her friends, were pissed that guys didn't make the first move. So thats a problem for me. I'm not sure about Duncan, but I dislike asking girls out or anything of the sort because of the fear of rejection / being disliked...unless of course they flirt with me or show interest first