Sunday, March 9, 2008

Finally, another topic!

Sorry about the very long hiatus. And sorry that this post is so long.

I don’t think the way a guy dresses makes him more attractive or less attractive, necessarily. But, I do think that the style the guy has tells a lot about his personality. Therefore, if the way a guy dresses points to a character quality that you don’t like, it’s kind of a turn off. Of course, this is what we call “judging a book by its cover” but I’m just sayin’.

I don’t think a guy has to dress well to be hot, but I’m sure there are plenty of girls who do. A well-dressed man has a certain look of cleanliness and a level of personal care that makes them more open to others. It shows that they can take care of themselves and are ready and able to put themselves out there. It reflects a level of confidence, which of course is always attractive.

Now, just to clarify, I don’t mean that the more clothes from American Eagle one owns, the hotter he is. Because personally, I hate American Eagle. But that’s beside the point.

This is a really hard question.

Okay, I think this is what I think, in a nutshell: I know that I, for one, judge based on clothes and style, but that is because I notice these things anyway. I pretty much know the wardrobes of all of my guy friends because I’m just cool like that =] And the dealbreaker (except not really, but for lack of a better term) is always the shoes. A guy who wears good shoes is always attractive. I don’t know why.

And I’m off again. Back to the point. Basically, dressing nicely makes a good first impression. Beyond that, clothes don’t matter. As long as they have a “style.” Which, in my opinion, everyone does. Even if they wear really nasty grungey clothes -- that’s their style.

And another thing: In writing this post, I have come to find that I really dislike it when guys wear clothes from Hollister and American Eagle just because they think it’s the trendy thing to do. If it’s not your style, don’t wear it. So basically, be yourself. (And to make a connection: it doesn’t really matter what you wear, but how you wear it. Wearing something that represents who you are is the best anyone can ask for.)

As far as girls dressing up: I touched on this in one of the earlier posts, but I agree with Duncan. Guys don’t give a crap about how girls dress. So why do we spend so much time and effort to look nice? Well, first off, we aren’t trying to impress guys, necessarily (depends on situation). But looking good makes you feel good which in turn makes you look even better. And we like compliments.

4 comments:

Duncan said...

If girls really wanted compliments from guys though on how they look good they would never dress up because then they could complain about looking like crap and guys would all say "no. you look beautiful, gosh." (and then sigh and roll their eyes).

April said...

Haha, I feel like only cute guys would say that.

And anyway, fishing for a compliment is always annoying.

And to clarify, compliments include compliments from girls AND guys, maybe even teachers and family and parents and randoms.

Angelika said...

I think that it already makes somewhat of a difference if a girl is well dressed or not, because when a girl wears clothes that really don't work with her body type (or even work against it), that's bad. I.e., girls who walk around with their stomachs or cleavage sticking out to the point that they're always pulling here or there. I feel that people can wear what they want, it's just a good idea to wear something that flatters your body type.

Chris P said...

April, I'm not a cute guy at all but I still say "no. you look beautiful, gosh" (minus the gosh).
I dress terribly and the people who know me can attest to this. Example - last week I made a fashion faux pa by wearing black shoes and a brown belt...Now I had no idea this was "like-the-most-tawdry-thing-ever" as one fashion police officer mentioned to me, but despite this and my crazy hair, many people don't care and still say I look good - but goofy.